Sunday, July 24, 2011

How to survive sunburn: A guide for brown girls of all shades

Working on my sunburn ... I mean tan.
For 28 years, I too believed the myth that “Black people don’t get sun burn.”

After spending countless hours on South Beach last Memorial Day weekend, my entire chest, neck and face were completely burned. It looked like I got into a fight with my blush, and the blush won - it was not a good look.

It was not until the next morning that the full extent of my so -called “trying to get as brown as I possibly could” was realized. My skin was on fire.

Here’s what got me through it:

PAIN RELIVER: Chose your favorite brand. Tylenol, Advil, Excedrin – whatever you prefer.

ALOE VERA SOMETHING: The aloe not only cools on contact, but it also has natural healing properties. I chose a spray for the simple fact that it’s not messy. A gel probably works best, but the spray goes on quicker and doesn’t require washing your hands. Lazy, I know …

SUNBLOCK SPF 50: If you plan to go back out into the sun, you must understand that you will continue to bake. If you want to have any chance of enjoying the rest of your trip, lather up in it and apply it religiously throughout the day.

MOSTURIZER: Carry the lotion with you. Your skin will start to peel, you will feel like a snake – it is disgusting. It’s hard to forgive yourself for this – which is why I will do better next time.  

The tan was worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Why thank you, Ms. Angie!! This summer I'm going topless tanning in Central Park. <3

      Delete

Share your theory with us, we all want to know what you think. Be careful, I comment back.