Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Watt to buy: The truth about blow dryers [Guest post for ShayStar.com]



Over the course of several weeks, I noticed it was taking longer and longer to blow-dry my hair. Realizing that the dryer was going on three years old and slowly creeping towards its final fate - to sit in a landfill somewhere in America, I set out to purchase a new one.

The hunt began at the local box retail store where the dryers ranged in price from $9.99 to 39.99. Ionic this, cool shot that … it was all so overwhelming. A closer look at the boxes led to a startling conclusion, each and every dryer on the shelf was 1875 watts. This had to be some type of conspiracy. I am no science buff, but I do know that the wattage refers to how much power the drier pushes out; therefore the wattage refers to how hot the drier will get. They are ripping people off on a daily basis. The $10 dryer does the same job as the $40 dryer.

I went home pissed off and began doing my research and found that dryers range in wattage from 1000-5000. The blow dryer industry is very tricky with their marketing and will name a 1000-watt dryer the “Turbo 3000” - 3000 has nothing to do with the machine’s performance. You have to pay attention to the wattage - that is all that matters.

Armed with my new knowledge, I headed to a professional hair supply store and found a plethora of choices. The drier in my price range was the Conair Silver Bird Pro, which is 2000 watts and was on sale for $29.99 normally $49.99  - so I scored. The moral of the story is don’t be fooled by the hype, do your research before you shop for anything.

Here is to hair blowing in the wind,

Theory
www.ThatsMyTheory.info
Twitter.com/MsTheory2U
Facebook.com/ThatsMyTheory
www.ThatsMyTheory.info

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your theory with us, we all want to know what you think. Be careful, I comment back.