Thursday, June 17, 2010

Torch is on FIRE.


Monday night I had a chance to sit down with Torch, who had a surprising sense of humor. After we chit chatted about family and the Rick Ross law suit he shared some pretty interesting info.

Growing up in the Castle Hill projects in the Bronx, Torch of Maybach/Def Jam/Specialyst admits that life was not easy. "I went to jail, I sold drugs," he said. "I don't like glorifying that."

But he does not want to be called a rapper, "I'm not a rapper, I'm just telling my story," he said. "I do this so my family will be straight." Whatever he wants to call himself - he is making music with some of the best MCs around.

His latest single, "Bang Your City" features the legendary Busta Rhymes and was produced by Boy Wonder (who can be credited to most of the songs on Drake's album "Thank Me Later"). Over the last six weeks "Bang Your City" has been getting spins across the country with "no payola."

"I don't pretend enough," he said of the industry which he described as being full of "smoke and mirrors." He continued, "If I fuck with you, I fuck with you. If I don't, I don't." But despite his disappointment in Hollywood he does see an upside, "You can't put a dollar amount on the places I've been. Places I would have never seen." Torch has been on tour for the past three years, worldwide.

I asked Torch if he felt like there were any misconceptions about him and he confidently shared with a laugh, "People got me pegged the right way," he said. "Ni***s leave me the fuck outta that dumb shit. The 1st moment they try me, I'm gonna be famous for the wrong reason."

Naturally in our conversation, Rick Ross came up and you know I seized the opportunity to find out what his camp thinks about Rick Ross vs Rick Ross. Torch said, "We not worried about money hungry leeches trying to take other peoples shine, trying to get theirs off of other people." (Personal opinion was kept to myself)

Right before he ran on stage to perform, he offered some advice, "If you don't have 10 different ways to make money, you ain't doing it right - I'm up to 15. Catch up Ni***s."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your theory with us, we all want to know what you think. Be careful, I comment back.