Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010 Reflections

I decided that I would be a complete loser if I let the year end without making a post after this hiatus. As some of you may know, last year around this time I was preparing my life to return to college and relocate to NYC. After donating all of my furniture and most of my childhood memories, I packed up and never looked back.

2010 was an interesting year for me. I learned lessons about my temper, relationships, and ultimately how what I do right now in this instant could come to bite me in the ass. I'm not talking about major things either. Even something as simple as getting an attitude with someone or making assumptions about things could really make a difference, negative or positive. Let's keep it real though, sometimes people do need to see that you-aren't-going-to-pull-that-on-me side - 'Who you finna try? I bet it ain't me, I bet it ain't me."

This year has pushed me to the limit as far as school, developing relationships, maintaining relationships, being an adult, dealing with my feelings, stepping outside of my comfort zone and letting things/people go. Every trial and lesson that I learned in 2010 was get me into a place to fulfill my dreams and my destiny.

Robin Roberts and I
One important lesson that I learned this year is that everything, and I mean everything is relative. I have been thinking about this since my conversation with comedian Eddie Griffin this summer. I appreciate that and I am not sure he realized at all what an impact he made on me. During our brief convo he challenged me as a journalist and gave me a quote that I can't shake, "Truth is relative as love is relative." I'm not sure if he made that up or not, but he caused the wheels to start spinning in my head.

2010 also taught me the real power of the law of attraction and the power of positive thinking. In 2009 I was imagining what it would be like to tell Robin Roberts, host of Good Morning America, that she changed my life - in 2010 I did it. In August 2009 it was only a dream for me to be a student in NYC and a little more than a year later I am getting ready to start the second semester of my Junior year in 2011. It is never to late to change your mind to do what you want to do. Life is too short to be unhappy. I did not want to settle for working in retail for the rest of my life, so I made the decision and the sacrifices to ensure that would not happen.

After reading a post from my friend Sam (in which she ragged on New Year's Resolutions) I couldn't help but agree with her arguments. If there are changes that you want to make, why wait until a particular day - MAKE THE CHANGE NOW. Why wait until tomorrow to improve yourself - which is why I had to make this post.

I could not let another day go by where I felt bad about not posting. There wasn't really anything stopping me from doing it - yes, I had homework and tests but I spent more time worried about irrelevant things that have nothing to do with securing my future.  So, I am putting my money where my mouth is and challenging myself to post everyday for the next 30 days. Let's see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your theory with us, we all want to know what you think. Be careful, I comment back.