Saturday, August 28, 2010

Laughter cures all, get your dose @ The Mixtape Comedy Show

Is life getting to you? Are you bogged down with stress? Have your kids or your significant other pushed the last button? Well, I have figured out the cure. Laughter. After all, it is the best medicine.

Recently, I had the honor of sitting down with two of the funniest men alive. Even though I was told to "stop being so fucking sensitive," I have never laughed harder.

So - what do you get when you mix cocktails, freestyle MC battles, NYC and some of the funniest people walking the planet?

The Mixtape Comedy Show. 

It all started as a joke on Facebook - yet, almost two years later you can catch Anthony Anderson, Royale Watkins and friends like Jim Gaffigan, Alex Thomas and Calise Hawkins at The Gotham Comedy Club or on a computer near you every third Sunday.

In between hosting, tweeting, texting and answering phone calls I had a moment to chat with the pair about the show, their careers, and of course - advise for those of us trying to get like them.

Theory: How did you get into comedy?

Royale: I started as a stand-up comedian, I was always the class clown. Eventually, that translated into acting and writing. I am always trying to find a way to act as 'me.'

Anthony: (Being in entertainment) is all I wanted to do since I was nine years old. I wanted to play for the Dallas Cowboys, be an actor, and a lawyer.

Theory: Anthony, what can we expect to see from you now that 'Law and Order' was cancelled?

Anthony: My schedule is wide open. I'm not tied to a weekly schedule any more and I will now be able to do more films and I can be more diverse. I can give more to Mixtape, more touring, more film.

Theory: What advise would you give to people pursuing their dreams?

Royale: Keep going, never give up. I've slept in airports and taken dirty airline tickets. You have to have a vision first, they won't realize it until you show it to them.

Anthony at his 40th Birthday Bash - Promenade, NYC
Anthony: Stand fast to what you believe. Never take no. Persevere. Keep moving forward. Never let anyone discourage you about your value and talent. The worst thing that can happen to a dreamer is a dream differed.

Theory: So, what is next for the Mixtape Comedy Show?

Royale: We are trying to reach the widest possible audience that we can. We want to grow the audience and to allow the fans to continue to be engaged. It's the internet, us and the fans.

Theory: Thanks so much for sitting down with me. I loved the show tonight - as usual, it was hilarious. Y'all are gonna retweet this, right? LOL.

**BIG HUGE GIGANTIC SHOUT OUT TO BYRON WARD, YOUR THE BEST.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your theory with us, we all want to know what you think. Be careful, I comment back.